Kramersgildeplein 1
6826 KM Arnhem


026 363 9692


Getting married is one of the most exciting situations in your lifestyle, but it also comes with some very significant legal paperwork. While the difficulties of marriage laws vary from status to state, there are several things most couples ought to know about their matrimony license and certificate.

A marriage license is a piece of paper you obtain before your wedding day that authorizes you to marry. It typically requires one to prove that you and your partner will be of marriageable age (usually over 18; if youthful, you’ll want parent or court consent); present valid photo IDs; be equally legally allowed to marry at home country and state; and that neither of you has been recently married. Most states require that both parties sign the marriage license, and be combined with witnesses. Occasionally, a premarital physical assessment is required.

The officiant of the wedding ~ be it a judge, religious leader or friend ordained for the day – will support your license after your ceremony. Once endorsed, the officiant is going to return that to the city or county office that granted it, exactly where it will be recorded with your marital relationship records. Within a few weeks of the wedding, you must get your matrimony certificate in the mail.

It’s a smart idea to keep your relationship certificate in a safe place, because you will need it when changing your name as well as for official files like medical insurance or checking accounts. You may also have to provide the marriage qualification when applying for a passport or visa. And if you plan to travel internationally, be sure to find out if your home nation will accept a regular Nyc marriage qualification, or any time you’ll will need an apostille stamp.